Tuesday, January 13, 2009

While at the YMCA today.....

I ran 4 miles on the treadmill in 34 min.

Rocked out 20 min on the Elliptical machine.

Pushed out 15 min of abs.

The best part about being at the YMCA this morning was watching this man with his son. I would guess the son was about 22. It was obvious by watching this boy, that he had some kind of brain injury or maybe born with his slow reactions, and movements. I don't know if he was Mentally handicapped, but you could tell something was a little off. Cute boy. Cute father. And as I watched these two together, my heart just felt so many different things. Sadness, happiness, hurt, pain, Joy, sorrow.... so many feelings that I thought maybe this Father had. In my mind while watching these two, I told myself a little story. (Don't we all do this?)

I was certain this young man had been in some kind of accident. Most likely a car accident. He must of had some kind of brain damage and never recovered 100%. I was telling myself, that this Father loved his son so much, that he was willing to take his boy to the Y and help him with the rowing machine, and then move over to the free weights and help him lift 5lb dumbbells, first to work his biceps, and then over his head to work his shoulders. As I continued to watch them, after telling myself the story, and then watching this father and the way he looked at his son in the eyes with so much love and compassion, and then the way he would touch his son to help him lift and move his body while holding weights, I couldn't help but feel very emotional. They weren't there for more then about 20 min, but I would imagine this little outing was a big one for them. I love my daughters so very much, and if some time down the road of life, anything were to happen to them, I hope I can have as much compassion as this father did for his son.

And to think, I almost didn't go to the YMCA this morning. So happy I did.
* OK, I am not even certain this was a father and son. Again, it was part of the story I told myself.

19 comments:

Sonia said...

I do that all the time! Invent little story with what I see, not at the gym since I don't go. But often with the people at the pool. LOL At least you didn't cry or anything embarassing like that!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

awww, what a sweet moment - amazing post! Great job on the run too!

Mel-2nd Chances said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I do the same thing, make up a story to go along. Whether it was a father and son, brain injury or not, it shows how beautiful life is.

Denise said...

Regardless of it being a father and son, it still makes you realize how lucky we are and how important our loved ones are to us.

Marlene said...

Great, touching post. Awesome job on the run/workout too!

Unknown said...

So gald other people tell themselves stories! It makes me feel normal and not a little crazy (well maybe we are just both crazy)

Chic Runner said...

Love the story you shared today :) So glad that you were there to see it all, even if it wasn't *true* :) I do the same thing so I'm glad I'm not crazy. :)

Stacey said...

I loved your story! I do that too, it helps pass the time! Great job on the workout!

Aron said...

love your story :)

great job on the workout!!

Baldwincrew-blog said...

That was a touching story true or not I loved it. I write up stories in my head about things or people all the time. Love ya!!!

Nikemom said...

I love the Y. It is an amazing place with amazing people. Great job on the run. :D

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Sweet story. I loved it even if it might have been fiction it was a good one! I too hope I would have that much love and compassion. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

I like your story! If anything, it made the time at the Y go by a bit quicker.

billdowis said...

That father and son probably appreciate life so much that they are happier together than most of the people in the world. They are also richer than some of the richest.

Run Mommy said...

I do the exact same thing! Your story was a nice one.

Felice Devine said...

Ha! I'm always telling myself little stories about people all the time, too. And then I find myself all teary-eyed.

Bethany said...

You are kicking tail! Good Job and I know you are just thrilled... Let me know how phase 2 goes.

RunnerMom said...

You told that story beautifully! I see folks like that at our Y and I'm always touched as well.

Glad you got in a good workout.