Tuesday, March 31, 2009

50 miles....

I have been kind of out of the Blogging scene for a week or so. I have had am bunch of family here from Utah for my daughters baptism. It was a great week (end) and I am so super sad to have them gone, but at the same time, I am ready to get my house back in order.
On Saturday my sister Maria (older by 16 months) ran her first 50 miler. She and her husband trained together and then they were able to finish this race together. It is called the Antelope Island 50.... or something like that. It is in Utah and I really wish I could have been there to run some of it with her and to be at the finish line cheering her on. She posted a video on her blog of them finishing, yep... I totally teared like a baby. I am so proud of them. They finished in 11 hours. I have to tell you that her husband, Jason, has only run 1 marathon, a couple of half's and now a 50 miler. They are so awesome. There 13 year old (almost) son ran the last 7 or 8 miles with them and now he wants to run a half marathon this August. How fun is it that their family is all getting involved and interested in running.
WAY TO GO MARIA AND JASON!

16 comments:

Diana said...

What a blast to have the entire family into the same thing!
Welcome back to blog land!

Oz Runner said...

50 miles, wow! that is an amazing accomplishment....and congrats on your daughters baptism, you must be a proud mama..

Mindy said...

Awesome and amazing!!!

RunnerMom said...

Wow! That is so inspiring. Do you think you'll ever run an ultra?

I love how running is contagious. My 8-year-old is training for a 5K that we are running together on April 19. Yesterday he ran 2 miles, first one in 9:24 and the second one in 12:57. (Lesson learned! Slow down, don't go out to fast!)

I have missed your blog posts!

Denise said...

Wow, I love hearing stories like this. Especially now that I'm training for my first 50 miler. They should be so proud of themselves!

Missy said...

50 miler, ouch man! Sounds painful yet totally intriguing! Mmmm, something to think about.

Marlene said...

Congrats to your sister and BIL! What an amazing accomplishment and great thing to do together.

Aron said...

that is sooo awesome :) congrats to them!!!

Chic Runner said...

Amazing and congrats on such a great race! :) They are so cute together too. What a motivating experience.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

WOW! Congrats to them both, that is amazing!

joyRuN said...

That is so so awesome! And that they did it together, AND with their son at the finish - incredible.

Marci said...

What a huge accomplishement!! 50 miles.. wow!

Nielsen clique said...

Thx Janni, I wished you could have been there too. Since you are the one who got me into running distance in the first place. You were my inspiration and it is cool to be an inspiration to others in my family. Now Trevor and My SIL are going to run a half this summer.

Unknown said...

WOW!! 50 miler!! I thought a marathon was pretty crazy :) Way to go maria and jason.

Anonymous said...

That is a very popular 50 miler. I would like to do it someday. That is great that they did it together. HAHA My wife has no interest in going that far with me. She sticks to the half marathons. No shame in that though.

Kim said...

Whoo Hooo! That's awesome!