Monday, May 3, 2010

Flying Pig race report.

This wont be a long post. Short and simple.
It rained and it poured and there was even thunder and lightning at the start. We were soaked before the race even started. I started with the 3:40 pace group. Lost them at 6, when we started with the hills. From 6-8 it is almost constant hills. At about mile 8 the hilliest part of the course was over. But there were still more little hills to come. I caught up to the 3:40 group at mile 12. Stayed with them till 16.5ish... and by mile 17 I was having a hard time keeping up. I knew I had to slow my pace. I was so mad. I was fighting with anger, and doubts and frustration. By mile 18.5 I told myself it was OK to not BQ. Once I agreed with myself... I was fine. I settled into a new pace, and felt happy. I did slow down a touch more as the miles went on. My left hip was killing me, I couldn't stop and walk through the water stations anymore because it was to hard to get running again. At mile 24 the 3:50 pace group passed me and I thought I could keep up with them... nope. So I slowed back down to my 9:30 pace and just finished.

3:51:06... avg of an 8:50 pace... not my best, but not my worst.

I am a little bummed I didn't BQ, but considering I had been sick all week, the hilly course, and the rain and really my lack or training... I am happy with my time and I am even happier that I am able to run. I am so lucky and blessed to be a runner and to love it. I am amazed each time I cross the finish line that I am able to push myself for 26.2 miles. (garmin said 26.5)

So whats next you ask? Marathon #13 will be in Utah with 2 of my sisters. Frances, my twin, will be doing her first full. We are running the Deseret news marathon on July 24Th in Salt Lake City. I am so excited about this one. No pressure at all. Just 3 sisters running together and crossing the finish line together... no matter what. I will have to wait to BQ in Sept or Oct, and I will find a much flatter/faster course. Greg was standing above me on an over pass thingy, and so the pictures are from a distance. Here are a couple. He took them with the super fast shutter speed option... so I have about 30 shots of me running. It's fun to scroll through them fast on the camera and watch myself run.
Crossing the Finish SwineWalking back to the hotel, I made him take one of me with my medal.


18 comments:

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that it wasn't your day for a BQ... you had some tough conditions to worth with - weather, being sick, training hiccups.

For the record, you still ran an impressive time! Congrats on # 12.

Baldwincrew-blog said...

Way to go rock star. You amaze me more than you will ever know not just because you run but for many reasons. I love you and can't wait till the deseret news marathon in July!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Way to go!!! You are awesome :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers said...

Congrats!!! Wow, running in rain is always harder- you did great!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I wish it had been the BQ you wanted. It is another amazing accomplishment! Impressive time BQ or not. Running long distances in bad weather adds to the challenge. Way to go overcoming!

Felice Devine said...

Sorry you missed the BQ but GREAT JOB! LOve the medal pic :-)

Adrienne said...

Sounds like a lot of obstacles to overcome but you did it! Deseret News Marathon is the only marathon I've run. I'm glad you are going to run it with your sister's that will make it more fun. Great job.

misszippy said...

Congrats! You did a great job, even if it wasn't a BQ THIS TIME. You'll get it next time around--every marathon counts towards the next.

kristen said...

Congratulations girl. Great attitude. Next marathon sounds like it's gonna be awesome!

Diana said...

#12....that is awesome. What a crappy weather day to pull it off in!

Congrats on great time-sorry for it not being a BQ for you, but like you said-you overcame a lot to get it done.

Next time!
Good luck with #13!

Laura said...

Congrats on a great race in such crappy weather. I personally liked the power outage right at the start because of the lightening.
My garmin was .3 over as well.....

RunToTheFinish said...

I think you took the exact right attitude about this race! Sorry for the poo weather, but it sounds like Utah should be awesome!

way to go on #12!!!

Tricia said...

super impressed you pushed through despite all the obstacles. great job!

Anne said...

Congrats on doing a great job in these difficult conditions!!

Claudia said...

Congrats on a great race!
Considering the conditions I think You did amazing.

Aron said...

you did amazing out there!!! i heard many horror stories about the conditions and you still pulled off a 3:51 - that is awesome!! you will definitely get your BQ but considering everything should be thrilled with the race :) congrats!!!

Jamie said...

You did awesome especially under those horrible conditions! Congrats! And I love that you were able to switch up your attitude mid-race. That's tough to do :) You definitely will get your BQ this year!

Unknown said...

Congrats for the amazing race Janice. You amaze me...
_______________
vibram