Friday, May 6, 2011

Country Music Marathon Race Report

It's about time I post this race report, it's only been 6 days.

I admit I am not a writer. I'm not funny. I'm not witty. I'm not a great blog read. I don't post on this blog for anything other then having a running journal, so you all get to read some of my thoughts, even if it resembles vomit on a page. So I struggle with what to blog about. Sometimes I feel guilty for not being a daily blogger (or journal-er) But I'm pretty sure no one wants to read my daily thoughts or concerns, even if it is about running.

So when I have a marathon that I am super disappointed in and not excited to journal about, it takes some serious teeth pulling to get me to update the ole blog. So here it is... my sucky marathon #16 race report.

We (the hubby and I) made the 2 hour drive down to Nashville on Friday, and barely had time to get into the super crazy and crowded Expo before it closed. Here we are just after picking up our numbers.

As we made our way out of the Expo, I spotted this beauty. I found this to be funny. I'm kicking myself for not going inside and snapping a pic of the inside. Greg and I at the start line.


We were in Corral #6 out of 30. Greg ran the half marathon and I ran the full. We were able to run the first 11 miles together before splitting off. We went out way to fast (my fault) and with the hilly course, going out to fast, and the heat, this was a recipe for disaster. UGH.....


After Greg turned off at mile 11, I plugged into my ipod for some much needed tunes. By mile 14 I was feeling really tired. I had to stop many times to stretch my Achilles tendons. Not sure what was up with that. They were both screaming at me the entire run. At mile 17, we run past the LP field, which is where the finish line is. This totally sucked. Running past the finish line and seeing half marathoners finish, and even several full marathoners finish, messed with my head, and I still had over 9 miles to go. Oh man..... I walked for nearly 5 min at this point. Even though I never fully pulled out of my funk, by mile 19.5 I was feeling much better, and found I was running more then walking. I'm not against walking in a marathon. I walk through every water station, but to walk the amount I did was devastating and a blow to my ego. By mile 25 I was hot (temps reached 76*) and starting to feel really dizzy. I didn't want to walk during the last mile, but I was seriously worried I might pass out.


Finally the finish line.... Not happy with my time at all, but happy to have finished.


This marathon is super big. With over 30,000 runners, it could have been a lot more chaotic and frustrating, but all in all, not bad. I don't plan to run this one again anytime soon. If I do.... I will train differently and attack race morning differently, and maybe make sure I hadn't just run a marathon 2 weeks before.


As for the half marathon we were registered to run May 7th (tomorrow) It's been post-poned till June 18th. Our local area has been hit with some pretty serious flooding and the start/finish line looks to be right smack in the middle of all the chaos. We wont be able to run it on the new date. We have a church activity we are committed to. No worries... I've already registered for my next marathon (#17)... I'll post about that later.

12 comments:

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that it was such a tough day. I know I have had more than one race experience like that. Way to tough it out and finish that thing. I'd be dying in 76 degrees! Congrats on # 16!

Coy Martinez said...

Hey Girlie!! I LOVE your blog! Seriously!! You were the one who inspired me to write, so without your blog I'd have no place to cry constantly about being broken!

You're race reports are my favorites, for many reasons! I wither in the heat like a fragile flower too! BUT, you got through it and that's what counts!

Michelle said...

We all have horrible runs and it is your honesty that keeps us coming back!

Active Headbands said...

You are a rock star and pushed through a tough run. Sorry it sucked so bad for you. Wish I could have been there supporting you like you did on mine. Love you and can't wait till we can run another one together.

Melissa said...

I'm sorry it wasn't your day. I was there running the half and it was HOT. The sun was not helping matters and I had more than a few thoughts about the marathoners and thinking about the grind you guys were pushing through. Congrats on #16!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Yikes, it sounds like a hot run but congrats for finishing!!
:)

Tricia said...

congrats on finishing!

Stacey said...

It's the tough ones that make the good ones that much sweeter! I love the pic of you and Greg at the start line..you are so dang cute! Congrats on finishing #16!!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

I ran the CM Half a couple of years ago, the year it was the hottest in the history of the race (at that time). I'm just lucky like that. CMM is a tough course. Not sure if I would ever sign up for the full. The weather is so unpredictable, and the hills, heat, crowd combo is NOT my idea of fun.

Congrats for finishing it! I am VERY familiar with a frustrating marathon finish. I have many!

Carlee said...

I feel like I had the same exact race!

I did love Nashville though and could be convinced to race there again, but never to go for a PR.

I have yet to write my race report...

michael_s_kahn said...

I can relate to running by the finish BEFORE getting to the finish.. we had fun in Nashville though! Great race report.

Gotta Run,
Mike

Why said...

Great recap.. it was HOT on Sunday.. Phew!

WhyGuy!
www.facebook.com/WhyMarathon